Friday, September 23, 2016

Heritage Day

Happy Heritage Day!
This is always a vibrant day in the life of a South African. It's a time where we are united in celebrating our cultural differences. Living in a country where our diversity previously wasn't accepted, and is now treasured is beauty within itself.
A kaleidoscope of colour and prints is something that marks this special occasion- more so than other days. Everyone tends to get dressed up and we learn more about each other and ourselves.
I decided to wear what is known as a 'huis rokkie'. As the label suggests, it is mainly a kaftan worn in the house. However, I realised the print and colours had to make their way to the office. I was surprised at the appreciation this garment received. It's hard to see the beauty in something you are accustomed to seeing daily. You see it as 'normal' while it is adored by others. I think you can see this as something relevant to all aspects of your life and not only your clothing or your culture.
I was supposed to spend this Heritage morning running a 10 kilometre race. I was really excited for it as last year's race was not only pleasing to the eye but one that I was well prepared for. As a result, I managed to run it in a time that made me so proud of myself and the hard work I'd put in. Imagine the disappointment I experienced when I realised I was ill and now unable to do it. I will admit that I've been in bed, upset about this but I will look at the good in it. At least I can stay in bed, relax a little bit and start a new book. Reading fixes lots of things. ❤

Kaftan: Something I acquired on a pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia
Scarf: This was a free gift in a magazine a few years ago.
Clogs: Cotton On

No comments:

Post a Comment